There are plenty of advantages to be had with a Metro Ethernet connection. All over the world, there are lots of big names and service providers who offer a wide range of solutions to business organizations. How can Metro Ethernet help a business? Here are the top factors to consider.
One of the biggest advantages offered by Metro Ethernet is scalability. Depending on the service provider that you are working with, they can offer you a platform that scales from 1 megabit per second to 10 gigabits per second if they have a 100 Gbps backbone. Scalability can go a long way in helping a business organization enjoy benefits such as the following:
- Ability to grow geographically
- Ease of including new products to your portfolio
- Keeping pace with the latest technology when it comes to information and communications
- Capability of dealing with sudden spikes in demand as well.
Considering the fact that the MEF or Metro Ethernet Forum governs this class of Ethernet services, you can rest assured that you are getting access to certified solutions. For a business organization this can become extremely important because it allows:
- Application of the technology for a large suite of business services
- Support for Ethernet-based mobile aggregation
- Choice of vendors who have been certified by the MEF
- Compliance with the latest requirements and so on.
In fact, every now and then the MEF announces certifications for different telecom carriers and you will find a veritable list of Who’s Who in this domain. It makes it easier for you to choose the services of a particular telecom company which is not only well established in the business but has also received certification from the MEF. Among many other things that are considered for the certification there is product portfolio, ability to sell to different levels of government customers, reliability of services and even performance indicators.
Depending on the nature of your business, whether you are operating in the government sector, health care, financial services and so on, you can certainly look for a carrier which has received certification to operate in your business space.
Support for global operations
In quite a few cases the technology can be harnessed in enhancing your global footprint. For instance, if you have a Metro Ethernet footprint in one country, you can leverage technologies such as MPLS to establish a robust network of communications for your business.
Security and speed
Security of information and speed of data processing and transmission are extremely critical factors for any business organization. Not only should the information be transmitted from source to destination in as short a timeframe as possible, but it should also be free of corruption of any kind. With Metro Ethernet protocols, this kind of security and speed is possible.
When a business organization chooses to go with an MEF certified carrier, it can also enjoy additional benefits such as:
- Extension of its virtual private network
- Flexibility of network services
- Better communications within its branches and offices all over the world and
- Easier communications, especially for enterprises.