In today’s world, not having access to the Internet is almost unthinkable. Individuals and businesses everywhere conduct a large portion of their transactions through the Internet. Many people use the Internet for:
• Receiving and sending communications of various kinds
• Searching for data and information that they can use and
• Staying in touch with what is happening all over the world.
It is rather interesting to note that information today spreads almost in real time thanks to the various technologies that have gone into making Internet connectivity possible. One such technology is Metro Ethernet
What does this technology entail?
As the term denotes, an Ethernet network that spans a Metropolitan area is known as metro Ethernet. This kind of Ethernet network is sometimes abbreviated to MAN which stands for Metropolitan area network. The conventional Ethernet standards apply on this kind of technology as well. And quite often, business operations use this network to even link up their own offices to each other.
While there are plenty of benefits that a Metropolitan area Ethernet network offers, some of the main ones are:
• Higher cost effectiveness when compared to quite a few other technologies
• Easier installation since most business organizations and even residences use Ethernet already and
• Availability of access devices within the premises of the customer itself.
Some features of Metropolitan area Ethernet
This Ethernet technology is a carrier technology that helps connect users in a Metropolitan area to the Internet. Typically, its architecture or topology consists of:
• Combinations of Layer 2 and Layer 3 switches
• Cables or optical fiber for connectivity and
• Transport and distribution networks and technologies.
Technologies along with Metropolitan Ethernet
When it comes to the deployment of Metro Ethernet, there are different types of distribution networks and transport technologies that play a huge role as well. Some of the main ones are:
• DSL or digital subscriber lines for aggregation
• Transport technologies such as MPLS
• Access devices such as wireless base stations and
• The use of IP-MPLS to augment the functioning of the core network.
At the end of the day, a MAN offers all the benefits that Ethernet connectivity does. Thus, scalability, multiprotocol support, resiliency and easy management of networks are just some of the benefits that business organizations can enjoy. Cost factors taken into account, it does make sense for business operations to rely on deploying a Metropolitan area network in order to conduct their businesses within a specific location and connect to the world at large as well.