One of the most popular options when it comes to internet connectivity is Metro E or Metro Ethernet. Here are some of the reasons why this is so.
One sterling feature of Metro Ethernet is the fact that it turns out to be quite affordable for business organizations. Many business organizations do not need high cost or high investment technologies to conduct their operations. With Metro Ethernet such a business organization can enjoy Internet connectivity at a rather affordable rate.
You can also make it even more cost-effective and competitive by requesting multiple price quotes from multiple service providers. One of the reasons why Metro Ethernet services have become very cost-effective is because the costs of fiber are decreasing rapidly as well.
Options for bandwidth
Most service providers also offer a lot of flexibility when it comes to bandwidth. Some of the options include:
- Incremental bandwidth that come in 10 megabits per second or 100 megabits per second
- Bandwidth options that range from 3 megabits per second to 1 Gbps and
- Simple and effective bandwidth management in the larger picture.
Expansion of network needs, depending on business operations is therefore very easy with Metro e.
Depending on the service provider that you have chosen, you can enjoy Internet connectivity within 7 to 10 days. This is an extremely important aspect of Metro Ethernet benefit simply because a business organization cannot afford to wait endlessly in order to get connected to the world and the rest of his business ecosystem. Add to this fast installation time, scalable bandwidth; as mentioned above; and a business owner can indeed rely on available network services any time that he wants.
Metro Ethernet service providers can give you a standard service level agreement or SLA which guarantees you 99.99% availability. With this high level of network reliability, a business organization can always remain connected and more importantly rely on its service provider to quickly fix any problems that may occur.
Flexibility of connections
Most service providers will also be able to deploy Metro Ethernet in several configurations such as:
- Dedicated bandwidth between business locations
- Hub and spoke configurations when it comes to connecting branch offices to the headquarters of a business
- Direct competition between all the branch offices of various locations and so on.
A business organization can also choose any VLAN or virtual LAN to connect its offices. Since Metro e is not a router based technology, it allows for the creation of multipoint or point to point paths with the use of switches. It eliminates the need to use routers completely.
Metro e also results in other benefits or advantages such as:
- Lower latency especially when compared to router based technologies such as MPLS
- Support for applications that need stringent latency
- High security because it is separated from the Internet
- Dedicated and scalable bandwidth which a business organization can tap into
- The creation of VLANs within your telecom landscape so that you can even set a specific amount of bandwidth for a specific task.
Thus, given the many advantages of Metro Ethernet, business organizations are indeed turning to this new but popular technology to meet their Internet connectivity requirements.